BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The American Institute of Architects, Birmingham Chapter (AIA Birmingham), is pleased to announce the winners of the 2015 AIA Birmingham Design Awards. The winners were recognized at the Design Awards Gala at the Kress Building on August 20.
Awards were given in seven categories: Adaptive Reuse, Commercial, Detail, Institutional, Residential, Unbuilt and Under $300,000. A jury composed of four New York City architects judged all 53 entries based on clarity of construction, regional vernacular, structural logic, honesty and restraint, thoughtful detail, consistency, spatially thoughtful floor plans and sustainability.
The Award of Merit is presented to a project that meets the jury’s requirements for design excellence.
· MERIT AWARD in UNBUILT: The Addr3ss, bDot Architecture
· MERIT AWARD in UNDER $300,000: Crescent Building, Design Initiative, LLC.
· MERIT AWARD in DETAIL: stoolē, bDot Architecture
· MERIT AWARD in ADAPTIVE REUSE: Alabama Center for Architecture, Krumdieck A+I Design.
· MERIT AWARD in ADAPTIVE REUSE: Birmingham School of Law, ArchitectureWorks, LLP.
· MERIT AWARD in COMMERCIAL: Shades Creek Park Pool House, Barrett Architecture Studio.
· MERIT AWARD in INSTITUTIONAL: Homewood Board of Education, Williams Blackstock Architects.
The Award of Honor is the next highest level of recognition, presented to a project that exceeds the criteria set forth by the jury.
· HONOR AWARD in RESIDENTIAL: Homewood Residence, Krumdieck A+I Design.
· HONOR AWARD in COMMERCIAL: Taylor + Miree, Williams Blackstock Architects.
· HONOR AWARD in COMMERCIAL: Revelator Coffee, Appleseed Workshop.
This year, the jurors felt it appropriate to award a Best in Show to the project that stood out most in relation to its peers. This project was called “exceptional” for its open air plan, reuse of materials, and intricate details.
· BEST IN SHOW: Camp DeSoto Gym, ArchitectureWorks, LLP.
AIA Birmingham’s annual design awards exist to recognize excellence in architectural design by member architects. The purpose of the design awards is to honor those architects, clients, consultants and contractors who work together to improve the built environment. For more information about the AIA Birmingham Design Awards, please visit www.aiabham.org.